Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Recording Guitar and Bass, days 1-3

The recording process for In Hoc Signo Vinces continually proves to be a voyage into uncharted waters for me. With the exception of the very first demo, I have always plugged my guitars and bass directly into my computer, using amp simulators and other plug-ins. Having to deal with all the audio-technological obstacles just seemed completely unattractive for an amateur, minimalistic kid on a budget like me, and it was much more convenient to bypass all that by just running my instruments through a mixer and then into the computer.

This time around I have my good friend Oscar (pictured here doodling around on the guitar) helping me out again. He helped me record drums earlier this year, but he's a guitarist by trade. I wouldn't want anyone else helping me out with this particular task. It's been a bit frustrating at times, with guitar tones ranging from tinny to muddy and hardly a happy medium in between, and bass tones either too round or too sharp. But I think we've achieved a unique sound, and after post production and mastering it should sound pretty decent.





No comments:

Post a Comment